Sienna X Spray Tan
by Lianne Robinson
TREATMENT: Sienna X Spray Tan. SK started using Sienna X for their spray tans in June, and are very impressed with the brand. For the therapists, the tan goes on like an airbrush, only takes one coat and dries quickly. For clients, they are enjoying the quick process and are loving the results, so I am very excited to give it a go.
TALK US THROUGH IT: Having a spray tan in a luxury spa, was a spray tanning experience like no other. I have had quite a few spray tans and only ever been sprayed in a beauty salon, the process was perfectly fine but there was just something so much more luxurious and enjoyable about getting it done in a spa. I’ve always loved being tanned and had just accepted that a slightly unnatural colour, a few streaks, and patchy fading as being the classic spray tan look… maybe not.
The ambience of the spa immediately puts you at ease and I would highly recommend going for the spray tan with the full body exfoliation, you must prep your skin before a spray tan, but having someone do it for you is a luxury in itself.
I was lead to the treatment room by Alicia for the exfoliation… cue the most delicious smelling scrub ever, Pineapple & Papaya – divine! That alone left my skin glowing, definitely one of the key attributes for achieving such beautiful tanning results.
Whilst I was being scrubbed, Alicia talked me though the four shades of Sienna X to choose from (6, 8, 10 and 12). The numbers are to do with the percentage of DHA in the products, which is the tanning ingredient. I also learnt that Sienna X is known for its skin loving ingredients including Vitamins A and E, Aloe Vera and anti-ageing Q10, (plus it smells like coconuts)!! Alicia recommended the 8, as I’m quite fair skinned and freckly, she said it would look the most natural on my complexion – as though I had spent a week in the sunshine. As tempting as it was to go darker, I completely trusted her advice and went for the 8.
After showering off the scrub, I put on my bikini and dressing gown in the treatment room, and was lead to the spray booth room. It was then off with the dressing gown and on with the sticky feet and attractive hair net. The hair net is to protect your locks and the sticky feet help to avoid getting fake tan on your soles. Alicia then applied Sienna X barrier cream to my elbows, knees, ankles and to my hairline, this is to stop the tan gripping to drier skin, and to avoid my hairline clinging to the tan.
Alicia explained the various positions I had to stand in to ensure an even tan, then we were ready to go. On goes the rather loud fan, but that is to save you breathing it in or it falling to your feet. The tanning process itself is very quick, and you can wear what you like, I chose a strapless bikini, most people choose to just wear their knickers, and I am pretty sure (if you have the confidence) you can have it in your birthday suit.
Once suitably sprayed, a lot quicker than expected (2 and half mins to be exact) with no sticky residue or any evidence of the classic fake tan smell, I was ready to get dressed again. I did wait 5 minutes to be safe - but it was better than previous spray tans where I have paced back and forth for 15 minutes flapping my arms desperately trying to get dry before getting dressed.
The guide tan had left me with an instant golden glow, I already loved it, I was looking forward to seeing the results in 8-12 hours…
RESULT: The best spray tan I have ever had! Completely streak free and it had given me a natural looking glow, exactly what Alicia described – like having spent a week in the sunshine.
After showering the next morning, I was so pleased with the results, it was very natural looking and I was impressed as hardly any of it came off on my white sheets. The tan lasted about 9 days, it faded so evenly so I barely noticed it. I was told I looked healthy and I loved how it evened out my skin tone, (less need for concealer!!!)
Would I do it again? Yes! It is such a quick fix. The 8 was such a lovely colour, I would be tempted to get the 10 throughout the summer, but the 8 is the perfect all year-round colour for my skin tone. I would highly recommend SK, as the therapists are all perfectly trained with Sienna X, and make sure you take their advice – they are the experts.
SPRAY TAN TIPS:
- Exfoliate your skin before your tan (unless you’re leaving that to the therapists) and shave or wax your legs the day before, as shaving will remove the colour.
- You want to be spray tanned with clean, fresh skin, so no moisturisers, deodorants, sunscreens, makeup, or oils of any kind.
- Always wear loose, dark clothing afterwards – no socks or boots.
- When having your first shower after a fake tan (usually about 8 hours after), wash off the excess product before washing your hair as the soap can affect how much is washed off.
- Schedule smartly - evening appointments are the most logical, since you can go after work, then scurry home and promptly seal yourself into your private chambers.
- Follow instructions on how to stand. It might be a case of "left arm up, right arm forwards while you bend your knees" at some points, but while you may feel silly it's easy to follow.
- Maintain your tan - the more hydrated your skin is, the longer the tan will last, Sienna X have some wonderful moisturisers (available in salon). Try to moisturise morning and evening. Also avoid retinols, scrubs, masks, strips, microdermabrasion, or products containing alcohol, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acids, beta hydroxy acids, malic or lactic acids.