Light Therapy Booth
by Lianne Robinson
TREATMENT: This is a controversial one – SK now have a sunbed. I know for a fact that SK care about their client’s skin health, and always advise protecting it every day with a high SPF, along with skin loving ingredients. So I am curious to learn why they have introduced a sunbed…
TALK US THROUGH IT: I visited the spa and had a chat with SK Therapist Julie about the new sunbed to get all the info, and to hopefully give it a go! Julie described the sunbed as ‘unique’, as standard sunbeds generate UVA & UVB rays purely to darken your skin. However, this sunbed is not primarily for tanning, it is also to aid in the treatment of skin complaints, and is in-fact anti-ageing!
This ‘unique’ sunbed provides Red Light Therapy and Blue Light Therapy – this is what differentiates it from your standard sunbed.
The lamps are bright pink, a clear distinction to your typical blue lamps; the pink comes from the Red and Blue Light Therapy incorporated into the lamps. Julie explained that the Red-Light Therapy stimulates collagen production to help plump fine lines and wrinkles, for rejuvenated, younger looking skin, whilst the Blue Light Therapy purifies the skin, and is clinically proven to help treat acne and scarring, leaving your skin glowing and blemish free.
I have heard of these light therapies before, but only as part of a facial, so to learn that it is now a full body treatment is pretty exciting. So far, this sounds perfect for my skin - I still suffer with hormonal breakouts, which leave behind charming marks, and let’s not forget those lovely fine lines which are starting to set up camp around my eyes. If I understand Julie correctly, using this sunbed will reduce my fine lines, reduce acne scarring, and purify and rejuvenate my skin, with the bonus of leaving me with a natural golden glow. I’m sold!
We have all heard the horror stories of how damaging sunbeds can be, and how they age your skin dramatically, and unfortunately, many indoor sunbeds do just that, as their quest is to merely make skin as dark as possible. That is certainly not what the new SK Sunbed is about, firstly the therapists will examine your skin, and advise you on how long you can use a sunbed per session, and how often you should come to the spa to use it. They track all their client’s visits, and will check your complexion on leaving; they want the best, and most healthy results possible for their clients.
I asked Julie about current clients dealing with skin conditions, she said that they have a few clients who have active acne, and acne scarring, and one lady who suffers with eczema, and they all feel this sunbed is really helping their condition.
When it came to my first session, Julie said that I am definitely a pale skin type (I think my freckles gave me away)! She recommended I started on three minutes. Three minutes sounded like nothing (was it even going to make a difference?), but Julie said it is the best way to get my skin used to the lamps, and avoid any potential burning, which is when you risk long term damage.
RESULT: So far, I have only used the sunbed a couple of times, and when I said the light is pink, my is it pink…. so pink! It was lovely and warm in there, and as I am only in for 3 minutes, the time flies. I get out with no redness and feeling uplifted (I think that’s the vitamin D boost). I need to complete a course to see any visible results. I’m planning to write a follow up to this blog post in a few months, to let you know how I’m getting on, and hopefully by then I will have some before and after photos to share with you.
- Have an in-depth chat with the therapist before using the sunbed and explain what results you seek, especially if you have any skin complains such as acne, eczema or psoriasis. They will guide you when you can use the sunbed, and how long for.
- It is very important to leave a minimum of 72 hours between each session so that your skin has the chance to rest and regenerate between sessions.
- In the UK you must be 18 to use a sunbed, and you may be asked for ID, so make sure you take your ID with you if you’re lucky enough to look younger than your age!
- Eye Protection is an absolute must. Please never start a tanning session without protecting your eyes. Merely closing your eyes in a sunbed isn’t enough because the rays can still penetrate your eyes through the thin skin of your eyelids and cause serious damage to your retina and eyesight. SK have Wink Ease available for you before your session.
- If you are taking medications or natural supplements you should research if they can cause a photosensitive reaction. Also, certain ingredients in your skincare products such AHA’s may increase you skin’s sensitivity to the lamps, be sure to query your concerns before using the sunbed. The therapists at SK are happy to answer any queries or concerns that you may have before starting this treatment.